This will just be a quick recap of what I saw on replay out of Ohio from the Panthers and Bobcats.
- JJ Everard. The biggest news coming out of the dual isn’t how UNI won, but Everard’s health status. The big man was finally getting healthy and on a roll, but appeared to plant his right knee a little funny and it gave out. Everard tried to finish the match but was unable to, and he was not seen in the handshake line after the dual either. We’ll try to get more info on his status soon.
- 165-184 continues to be a big bright spot for the Panthers. Steiert (won by fall), Lujan (major decision), and Foster(major decision) pushed UNI ahead 14-0 and then…
- Holschlag took the mat and won again at 197 pounds, this time doing it with a punishing ride in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Holschlag would win 11-0 and push UNI’s lead to 18-0 after just four matches.
- Jay Schwarm continues to be a solid backup option for UNI, but couldn’t get by the MAC’s #2 ranked man.
- Alber continues his revenge tour, taking the rubber match between #15 Cameron Kelly. Like some other teammates Alber rode tough and earned nearfall points. It’s good to see him continue to take down opponents who he has to in the past.
- 141 continues to be an area of concern for UNI. Willers is solid wrestler, but he’s just not quite there. The same can be said of 157 pounder Paden Moore. Moore is a solid wrestler, but sometimes puts himself in bad positions and isn’t able to stage a comeback every time he does.
- Max Thomsen, like the rest of the underclassmen, continues to do very well.
Overall, this was a good win for UNI, and solidifies their position as, at least, the second best team in the MAC. With the Missouri dual looming last on the schedule it will be great to see if UNI can knock off the Tigers for the regular season MAC Championship.
#23 UNI 27, Ohio 16
165: No. 10 Bryce Steiert (UNI) pinned Austin Reese (Ohio), 4:03
174: No. 10 Taylor Lujan (UNI) maj. dec. Arsen Ashughyan (Ohio), 16-5
184: No. 14 Drew Foster (UNI) maj. dec. Dontae McGee (Ohio), 12-2
197: Jacob Holschlag (UNI) maj. dec. No. 33 Bailey Faust (Ohio), 11-0
285: Zack Parker (Ohio) MFF JJ Everard (UNI)
125: No. 15 Shakur Laney (Ohio) dec. Jay Schwarm (UNI), 17-12
133: No. 10 Josh Alber (UNI) dec. No. 16 Cameron Kelly (Ohio), 7-2
141: No. 27 Noah Forrider (Ohio) maj. dec. Tyler Willers (UNI), 13-5
149: No. 8 Max Thomsen (UNI) pinned Kyle Kaminski (Ohio), 3:00
157: Cullen Cummings (Ohio) dec. Paden Moore (UNI), 7-4