WAVERLY – The top-ranked Wartburg wrestling team is set to host No. 2 Augsburg University for the Annual “Battle of the Burgs” dual this Thursday, Feb. 6 inside Levick Arena. The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
#1 WARTBURG COLLEGE (15-0, 7-0 A-R-C) VS. #2 AUGSBURG UNIVERSITY (6-1)
Date: Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020
Time: 7 p.m.
Site: Waverly, Iowa // Levick Arena
Series: Wartburg leads 21-16
Radio: KWAY Country AM 1470 FM 96.3 // Greg Hovden, Al Hoeper
LAST TIME OUT
Wartburg improved to 7-0 during American Rivers Conference action with a 24-12 win at No. 5 Coe College last Thursday, Jan. 30 in Cedar Rapids. The Knights won seven of 10 individual bouts, including a pin from Kyle Briggs at 184 lbs. For his performance, Briggs was awarded the A-R-C Wrestler of the Week.
KNIGHTS ON TOP OF NWCA RANKINGS
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) released its fifth edition of Division III dual meet team rankings on Jan. 29, with Wartburg ranked No. 1 for a second consecutive poll and the fourth this season.
Individually, seven Knights are ranked throughout respective weight classes, including a top ranking for Kris Rumph at 133.
Thursday’s match will mark the 38th meeting between the historic rivalry of Wartburg and Augsburg, with the Knights holding a 21-16 series advantage. The two teams previously met on Jan. 11 in the NWCA National Duals Championship match, in which then-ranked No. 2 Wartburg defeated the top-ranked Auggies 24-15. The Orange & Black also won last year’s contest, in Minneapolis, Minn., and hold a 9-1 advantage over the last ten meetings.
LAST 10 MEETINGS
Date Home/Away/Neutral Result
1/11/20 N W, 24-15
1/31/19 A W, 16-15
1/5/18 N L, 17-21
2/1/18 H W, 21-13
1/6/17 N W, 31-9
2/2/17 A W, 20-13
2/4/16 H W, 29-10
2/5/15 A W, 25-7
2/6/14 H W, 23-9
1/31/13 A W, 29-6
- Wartburg is ranked No. 1 in the latest NWCA DIII poll, earning the top ranking for the fourth time this season.
- Seven Knights are ranked throughout respective weight classes in the latest NWCA poll, including a No. 1 ranking for Kris Rumph at 133 lbs.
- Senior Max Forsyth leads the Knights with 23 wins. Kyle Briggs trails with 20.
- Forsyth and Brady Fritz share the team lead with 12 pins each.
- Augsburg holds a 6-1 overall dual record on the season and most recently competed at the Saint John’s University Open Jan. 25.
- Eight Auggies are ranked throughout respective weight classes in the latest NWCA Individual Rankings, including a No. 1 ranking for Tanner Vassar at 184 lbs.
- The Auggies’ sole loss on the year came against the Knights in the NWCA National Duals title match.
- Ryan Epps (No. 2/157 lbs.) and Aaron Wilson (No. 3/149 lbs.) lead the team with 22 wins each.
- Vassar holds a 21-0 record with 12 pins.