Release courtesy of UNI Athletics
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – Drew Foster closes out 2018 as UNI wrestling’s second Panther to earn Big 12’s Wrestler of the Week Award.
Foster’s dominating performance over the weekend at the 2018 Midlands Championships boosted his team to the highest finish at the tournament in UNI history. He joined teammate Josh Alber at the top of the podium, making it the first time two Panthers had earned a Midlands title in the same tournament.
The 184-pounder earned bonus points in every match until the finals, where he knocked off No. 14 Cash Wilcke of Iowa for the title with a 3-2 decision.
He opened Midlands with a 20-4 tech fall over Jonathan Morales of Purdue before pinning Jacob Gray of Central Michigan in 3 minutes, 59 seconds. Foster notched major decisions against Ohio State’s Gavin Hoffman and Jackson Hemauer of Fresno State.
Foster is a senior from Burlington, Iowa. The Mediapolis High School graduate is majoring in elementary and middle level education with the hopes of becoming a principal or superintendent.
Only two Panthers have earned the conference’s weekly honor. Taylor Lujan was the first, winning in UNI’s inaugural season as an affiliate last year. Lujan earned it again this year.
Complete list of Big 12 Wrestlers of the Week for the 2019 season:
- Nov. 12 Dom Demas, Oklahoma, RFr. (141 pounds)
- Nov. 19 Cole Verner, Wyoming, RJr. (125 pounds)
- Nov. 26 Branson Ashworth, Wyoming, Sr. (165 pounds)
- Dec. 4 >Demetrius Romero, Utah Valley, Jr. (165 pounds)
- Dec. 10 Dom Demas, Oklahoma, RFr. (141 pounds)
- Dec. 17 Taylor Lujan, Northern Iowa, RJr. (174 pounds)
- Dec. 26 Sam Turner, Wyoming, RSo. (141 pounds)