The University of Northern Iowa got the news on their 2018-19 season going by announcing their competition schedule on Friday. The Panthers have a more fleshed-out Big 12 schedule with a trip each out west (to Utah Valley and the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite) and out east (to West Virginia and Pittsburgh). They return to Oklahoma State and South Dakota State as they did in their first season of being in the Big 12.
The home slate has one repeat on it as well as Iowa State makes it’s second return to the West Gym in as many years. Last year the Panthers won the dual 31-7 over the Cyclones. UNI will also welcome in Oklahoma, Air Force, and Northern Colorado.
As far as non-conference duals are concerned Doug Schwab will take his team to Nebraska, Missouri, and Pittsburgh, and will bring in Cornell to Cedar Falls.
UNI will also be returning to the Midlands tournament for the first time since the 2015-16 season. Current senior Josh Alber placed second at 133 pounds at the tournament for the Panthers that year.
UNI also announced that reserved matside seating will be available this year. You must be a member of the Panther Scholarship Club and more details on the program can be found here.
The complete schedule can be found below.
DATE / OPPONENT / WHERE / TIME (CT)
- Nov. 3 at Harold Nichols Open; Ames, Iowa
- Nov. 10 at Grand View Open; Des Moines Iowa
- Nov. 17 at University of Pittsburgh; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Nov. 18 at West Virginia; Morgantown, West Virginia; noon
- Nov. 30-Dec. 1 at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite; Las Vegas, Nevada
- Dec. 8 UNI Open; Cedar Falls, Iowa; UNI-Dome
- Dec. 16 vs. Cornell; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 2 p.m.
- Dec. 29-30 Midlands; Evanston, Illinois; Sears Centre Arena
- Jan. 11 at South Dakota State University; Brookings, South Dakota; 7 p.m. *
- Jan. 12 at Nebraska; Lincoln, Nebraska
- Jan. 17 at Missouri; Columbia, Missouri; 7 p.m.
- Jan. 20 vs. Air Force; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 2 p.m. *
- Jan. 25 vs. Northern Colorado; Cedar Falls, Iowa; 7 p.m. *
- Jan. 27 vs. Oklahoma; Cedar Falls, Iowa; 2 p.m. *
- Feb. 1 at Oklahoma State; Stillwater, Oklahoma *
- Feb. 9 at Utah Valley; Orem, Utah; 6 p.m. *
- Feb. 22 vs. Iowa State; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 7 p.m. *
- March 9-10 at Big XII Championships; Tulsa, Oklahoma
- March 21-23 at NCAA Division I Championships; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania